World Services for the Blind is hiring an Adult Education Teacher
The mission of World Services for the Blind is to empower people who are blind and visually impaired in the United States and around the world to achieve sustainable independence. As an approved Adult Education Center, WSB strives to level the playing field and reduce the 70% unemployment rate among working age blind adults in order to make them productive members of society and put them on career paths which are in demand in today’s highly competitive workforce.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Instructor will hold primary responsibility for the delivery of the Adult Basic Education (ABE) and GED Test Prep curriculum, as well as, administering TABE assessments in order to effectively evaluate a student’s grade level.
The Instructor will facilitate learning for students attending WSB’s residential pre-vocational and vocational programs, as well as, online students. Instructor must ascribe to the philosophy of meeting students "where they are" and that each person is served as a unique individual. Instructor will employ a student-centered approach effectively tailoring the instructional strategies to the individual students' needs approaching instruction with grit, creativity, and innovation.
Strategies may include but are not limited to direct instruction, one-on-one instruction, seminars, self-paced lessons, and online learning environments. WSB instructors employ high impact instructional practices and motivational techniques. The position will be an integral member of the team in meeting standards-aligned objectives set forth in the clients Individual Plan for Employment (IPE).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Preparing and delivering lessons to students who reflect a range of different ages, abilities and backgrounds.
· Applying standards-based grading to diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments, giving appropriate feedback, and maintaining records of students' progress and development.
· Applying best practices in adult education, researching new topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum materials when needed.
· Selecting and using a range of different learning resources and equipment, including rich technology integration, to ensure high quality learning.
· Preparing students for passage of state mandated exams and any internal and external examinations.
· Managing student behavior in the classroom and on school premises and applying appropriate and effective measures in cases of misbehavior with dignity.
· Participate in collaborative curriculum development, and agency-wide functions aimed at improving student retention, productivity, school culture, and new student orientation.
· Communicate student progress effectively with students, colleagues; Collaborate with staff to ensure student success.
· Work with staff to support students' progress towards graduation and movement into vocational programming.
· Attend all team and professional development meetings.
· Offer tutoring and other academic supports for students struggling academically.
· Other duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
· Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college degree required, plus 3 years related experience and/or training, and 2 years related management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Broad knowledge of such fields as math, English, social studies and science.
· A belief that all students can succeed.
· Drive to improve the outcomes and lives of clients.
· Strong organizational skills; extremely careful attention to detail and follow-through.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to analyze data for informed decision making
· Strong communication skills; ability to communicate direct feedback in a compelling way that empowers students to make immediate improvements to instruction
· Ability to work well in a team
· Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance instructional outcomes
· Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
· Has working knowledge of computer programs to perform job related tasks
Master’s degree with 2-5 years teaching experience
Arkansas Teaching License
Experience teaching in a special-needs community
Experience with adult learners returning for a high school diploma
If you are the kind of person who wants to make a difference in the lives of others apply today. Please include Cover Letter and Resume as well as Licenses/Certifications. Send via email to Christie Newsom at email@example.com.